Problem with calling the Quest ARS service on Windows 2003 64-bit

I am having a problem with a vbscript that makes a connection to Active Directory using the EDMS connection.  The script is used to create an account and has been working fine on a Windows 2003 32-bit O/S.  When running the script on a server with a 64-bit O/S it stops with a syntax error when it tries to connect to Active Directory.

Is there an issue with running scripts on a 64-bit O/S??  The Quest version is 5.2.5.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew
Parents
  • Hello, Andrew!

I assume you have installed ARS ADSI provider 5.2.5 on your 64bit Windows system.

Actually, 64bit OS has two script hosts - 32 bit & 64 bit ones.
    The 32 bit host is located at C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe. It can use 32 bit COM-objects only.
    The 64 bit host is located at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cscript.exe. It can use 64 bit COM-objects only. It is default script host for VBS-files executing.

The ARS ADSI provider 5.2.5 gives you a possibility to use the 32 bit COM-objects only. But your VBS file runs with the 64 bit script host by default.

To override this behavior, try to execute your script with the 32 bit host:

> C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe your_script.vbs

The second option to you is to upgrade the ARS ADSI provider to version 6.0. That version have both 32 bit and 64 bit COM-objects. The ARS ADSI provider 6.0 can interopt with older versions of ARS service.

And next, I reccomend you the third option: Upgrade your ARS to version 6.0. Use 64 bit version of ARS on 64 bit Windows systems.

Let me know if there is something else.

Sargay

• Hello, Andrew!

I assume you have installed ARS ADSI provider 5.2.5 on your 64bit Windows system.

Actually, 64bit OS has two script hosts - 32 bit & 64 bit ones.
    The 32 bit host is located at C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe. It can use 32 bit COM-objects only.
    The 64 bit host is located at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cscript.exe. It can use 64 bit COM-objects only. It is default script host for VBS-files executing.

The ARS ADSI provider 5.2.5 gives you a possibility to use the 32 bit COM-objects only. But your VBS file runs with the 64 bit script host by default.

To override this behavior, try to execute your script with the 32 bit host:

> C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe your_script.vbs

The second option to you is to upgrade the ARS ADSI provider to version 6.0. That version have both 32 bit and 64 bit COM-objects. The ARS ADSI provider 6.0 can interopt with older versions of ARS service.

And next, I reccomend you the third option: Upgrade your ARS to version 6.0. Use 64 bit version of ARS on 64 bit Windows systems.

Let me know if there is something else.

Sargay

Children
No Data