This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrading from 6.9.0.5483 to 7.2 in parallel

Hello,

It is time for us to upgrade our old Quest One Active Roles environment to the latest version.  AR 6.9.0 is running on Server 2008R2, and I would like to build the 7.2 environment on Server 2016.  Active Roles DB is running on SQL 2012, currently.  If I build and in stall the new environment, do I run the "AR 7.2 Configuration Collection Wizard" on the 6.9 environment, then the "AR 7.2 Configuration Deployment Wizard" on the new server?  If I can run these environments in parallel, the production cutover would just be to re-point DNS after testing.  Is this a supported upgrade path?

Thank you.

• That is one method, however there is an easier way to transfer your configuration. When you Install 7.2 on the new server, it will install a component called the "Active Roles Configuration Center". You can use this tool to point directly at your 6.9 database and do an import into your new 7.2 database. Otherwise, everything else you noted sounds great.

Here is some documentation as well that will be helpful:
    support.oneidentity.com/.../upgrading-the-administration-service

• Awesome Nick, thank you! I didn't know about the "Active Roles Configuration Center". I will read up on that doc.

Thanks again.
  • In-parallel upgrade side-by-side is strongly recommended for reasons:
    (a) RollBack: legacy ARS69 stays untouched and "insuarance" for RollBack if needed
    (b) TEsting: allows time/room to "breath" to test in Production new ARS72, with no impact on HelpDesk and ADAdmin and no heavy cut-over date
    (c) (a-b) is very strong points to support the point: ARS is Enterprise Front-End Compliance sensitive Application and to be treated this way.