This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARS upgrade path from 6.8 to 7.3?

I've been tasked with upgrading our Quest ARS environment.  Is there any documentation or recommendation on an upgrade path from ARS 6.8 to 7.3?  Our 6.8 environment is a just single server and management wants to go with a full HA/DR solution with 7.3 (if supported).  TIA.

• Hi Questnewb,

You will need to perform the following upgrade path:

6.8 > 6.9 > 7.3.1

Since 6.9 is EOL, it's no longer available to download on the support site. I would advise that you log a support case for the upgrade in order to get a copy of the 6.9 installation files. These should contain the appropriate documentation to get you through the upgrade to 6.9. Once that's completed, you can have a look at the below documentation page for 7.3.1. I suggest both the Administrator Guide and the Quick Start Guide. I do suggest reading through them in their entirety prior to doing the upgrade to best equip yourself for the upgrade.

https://support.oneidentity.com/active-roles/7.3.1/technical-documents

One important thing to note that comes to mind is that web interface customizations going from 6.x to 7.x are not supported. So if you do have any web interface customizations, you will need to recreate those customizations in the new web interface. I suggest installing the 7.3.1 on a new server in order to allow yourself access to the existing web interface to compare.

I hope this helps, and good luck with the upgrade. Remember that Support is just a call or email away.

• Hi Questnewb,

General answer:

(option1) 6.8 > 6.9 > 7.3.1

(option2) do fresh install and manually mimic (“migrate”) legacy 6.8 workflow into 7.3.1

Consideration1: In-place upgrade is probably not an option: you want to change AR Server Windows OS version and (possible) backend SQL Version.

Consideration2: both 1 and 2 will require *testing* of the upgraded workflow. When last time AR 6.8 workflows were reviewed/approved by AD team? Many customers use (option2) to Review/CleanUp/Improve/Adjust-to-today ARS Workflow to reflect current AD environment needs. Basically the older legacy 6.8 workflow – the less win is provided by (1).

Bottom line: ARS is Enterprise Level application carrying IT environment Automation, Audit and Compliance. It is the role which raises all concerns and considerations of the upgrade.

If needed, I would suggest to contact PSO (me, for example) in order to discuss details and dependencies in your environment.