Inquiry for Migration Tool for SPP

Hi All,

I am preparing to migrate from TPAM to SafeGuard, but I wonder if it is not possible to migrate unless it is an LTS version.

The SPP version uses the 6.13.1.x. version. Please advice.

Parents
  • Hi Jaeil,

If you are using the TPAM migration tool, I would recommend working with our professional services team.

Reference guide:

https://support.oneidentity.com/technical-documents/one-identity-safeguard-for-privileged-passwords/6.13/tpam-migration-guide

Thanks!

• Also be aware that unless things have changed the migration tool IS NOT supported  by the One Identity Support guys.

It is written and used by the PS team.

I found out the hard way.

The migration tool is actually quite limited in terms of what you end up with.

It moves your data basically.

It cannot translate the permissions from TPAM into an SPP permission model you will need to do this yourself. The requirements are quite different. Foe example ther is no equivalent of a collection in SPP so a new permissions model is needed if you have granted permisions via a collection.

Migration from TPAM is also a very good time to actually audit your systems accounts and users so that you then know you only have good data gong into your new solution.

Once cleaned up you can easily export users into csv for import into spp. Same with systems and accounts.

Passwords are moor difficult.

Migration tool can do this but my experience with it was not good.

BUT

if you get your data into SPP first, with ALL PASSWORD MANAGEMNT turned off and  create your new SPP permission model, you can then transition from TPAM to SPP disabling password management in TPAM and enabling it in SPP and then testing.

I would not recommend trying for a big bang change over.

Good luck

Tim

• Also be aware that unless things have changed the migration tool IS NOT supported  by the One Identity Support guys.

It is written and used by the PS team.

I found out the hard way.

The migration tool is actually quite limited in terms of what you end up with.

It moves your data basically.

It cannot translate the permissions from TPAM into an SPP permission model you will need to do this yourself. The requirements are quite different. Foe example ther is no equivalent of a collection in SPP so a new permissions model is needed if you have granted permisions via a collection.

Migration from TPAM is also a very good time to actually audit your systems accounts and users so that you then know you only have good data gong into your new solution.

Once cleaned up you can easily export users into csv for import into spp. Same with systems and accounts.

Passwords are moor difficult.

Migration tool can do this but my experience with it was not good.

BUT

if you get your data into SPP first, with ALL PASSWORD MANAGEMNT turned off and  create your new SPP permission model, you can then transition from TPAM to SPP disabling password management in TPAM and enabling it in SPP and then testing.

I would not recommend trying for a big bang change over.

Good luck

Tim

Children