This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARS add/remove member workflow only triggers on first item added/removed when multiple processed

I have a workflow that sets or clears an attribute for members added or removed from a group.  It works great if you are adding or removing 1 member at a time.  However if you add or remove 2 or more in the same transaction, only 1 item is processed by the workflow.  Is this a bug?

Parents
  • I just assisted a customer with configuring this.

There is an issue with targeting the Added Member in the Update Activity. You can't get a clean reference. The workaround is to trigger a search activity and target the found objects instead.

The Workflow looks like this:

The Search looks like this:

The conditional in the first If/Else Branch looks like this:

And the Update activity targets the object returned by the search result:

It's a little complicated, but it works. I have engaged the Product Team to allow for something much simpler and to prevent the defect which you encountered.

• Thank you for this, it works great for the ADD member but I still need to clear the attribute when a member is removed.  I will see if it can use this logic somehow to do the remove.

• Just copy the Workflow and change the trigger and the search.

The new Search will look something like this:

Ideally, you should have a filter here so that you return only  a subset of users in Active Directory. Adding a filter for the expected value of the attribute which you want to clear should do the trick.

• Here is how it ended up working around this issue.  For the add to the group, I used the suggestion from Terrance in his first reply.  Worked great.  I ended up using a scheduled workflow for the removal.  I could not get it to work real time like for the add to group.  The scheduled workflow does a search to find the objects with the attribute set.  It then uses and if/else to see if the object is a member of the group.  If it is no longer a member, it clears the attribute else it skips it.

It would be great if this could be corrected in future releases.

• Here is how it ended up working around this issue.  For the add to the group, I used the suggestion from Terrance in his first reply.  Worked great.  I ended up using a scheduled workflow for the removal.  I could not get it to work real time like for the add to group.  The scheduled workflow does a search to find the objects with the attribute set.  It then uses and if/else to see if the object is a member of the group.  If it is no longer a member, it clears the attribute else it skips it.

It would be great if this could be corrected in future releases.

Children