Requesting Group Membership on Self-Service?

Good Evening,

Not sure if this has been answered somewhere else, but I was looking to see if I could be pointed in the right direction for the following problem: I was curious to know if it is possible for a user, via the self-service web portal, bring up a list of groups that they could request access to, either temporal or longer. This would essentially kick off a workflow/approval which would go to the owner of said group to grant permission. I just am a bit lost on how to present a pre-defined list of groups to a standard user in which they could request access via Self-Service.

Any feedback would be most appreciated!! Thank you kindly!

Parents
  • Hi, Julia.

There are some remnant pieces in the product from a time when it actually included the behaviour that you're requesting as an out-of-the-box offering. Specifically, I'm thinking of the fact that there is still an edsvaPublished virtual attribute. The idea was that a group owner could mark their group as "published". The self-service site then had a section where you could list all of the "published" groups and request to add yourself to whichever ones you like. The still-present primary/secondary owner approval rules can then take care of the approval portion of your request.

Hence, all you really need to do is create a new virtual attribute, say "edsvaGroupRequests", as an example, in the DN syntax, multivalued, then apply an LDAP filter when adding that attribute to the Self Service site (e.g., "(&(objectClass=group)(edsvaPublished=true))", and you're off to the races.

The TL;DR version is this: yes, what you're asking for can be done with a little bit of customisation work.

• to follow up Shawn point. "Published Groups" feature of the Self-Service Manager (SSM) was removed after ARS 6.7.

It is very possible one can utilize the feature by customization (though it might not be supported fully, especially utilizing not documented legacy attribute like edsvaPublished)

I heard, that some SSM functionality might come back. I recommend to open SR and ask devs on the matter. 

• to follow up Shawn point. "Published Groups" feature of the Self-Service Manager (SSM) was removed after ARS 6.7.

It is very possible one can utilize the feature by customization (though it might not be supported fully, especially utilizing not documented legacy attribute like edsvaPublished)

I heard, that some SSM functionality might come back. I recommend to open SR and ask devs on the matter. 

Children