Requesting Group Membership on Self-Service?

Good Evening,

Not sure if this has been answered somewhere else, but I was looking to see if I could be pointed in the right direction for the following problem: I was curious to know if it is possible for a user, via the self-service web portal, bring up a list of groups that they could request access to, either temporal or longer. This would essentially kick off a workflow/approval which would go to the owner of said group to grant permission. I just am a bit lost on how to present a pre-defined list of groups to a standard user in which they could request access via Self-Service.

Any feedback would be most appreciated!! Thank you kindly!

Parents
  • Hi, Julia.

There are some remnant pieces in the product from a time when it actually included the behaviour that you're requesting as an out-of-the-box offering. Specifically, I'm thinking of the fact that there is still an edsvaPublished virtual attribute. The idea was that a group owner could mark their group as "published". The self-service site then had a section where you could list all of the "published" groups and request to add yourself to whichever ones you like. The still-present primary/secondary owner approval rules can then take care of the approval portion of your request.

Hence, all you really need to do is create a new virtual attribute, say "edsvaGroupRequests", as an example, in the DN syntax, multivalued, then apply an LDAP filter when adding that attribute to the Self Service site (e.g., "(&(objectClass=group)(edsvaPublished=true))", and you're off to the races.

The TL;DR version is this: yes, what you're asking for can be done with a little bit of customisation work.

• Thank you so much for the information Shawn! I apologize, but since I am new to ARS, is there some documentation/tutorial on how to start doing this? Thank you kindly.

• Hi, Julia.

The best place to start is probably the Customising the Web Interface section of the Web Interface Admin Guide. There is also a Creating and using virtual attributes section of the Active Roles Admin Guide that will talk about the special attribute that I referred to.

Hope that helps!
    Shawn.

Reply Children
No Data