What's the syntax for loading a PowerShell Library script from a Scheduled Task script?

Hi,

I'm running Active Roles 7.4, the latest version.  I've created a PowerShell Library script which contains a logging function I'd like to share with all the other Scheduled Task scripts I've written.  Currently, the function is copy and pasted into each Scheduled Task Script, which isn't programming best practise.

However, I can't work out how to tell the Scheduled Task scripts how to use the Library Script.  The error which the Scheduled Task gives is:

The term 'myCoolLoggingFunction' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

My Library Script looks like this (I've trimmed it for brevity):

# This function writes a log entry to a SQL table
function myCoolLoggingFunction([string]$source, [int]$severity, [string]$string, [string]$integer, [string]$dt, [string]$detail)
{
    # No single quotes
    $string = $string -replace '''', ''
    # etc....
}

It's more clear that to get this to work from a Policy Script, I'd call UseLibraryScript in the onInit function ... but I can't work out how to tell a Scheduled Task script to include the Library Script which Active Roles has let me create.  Could you post a snippet of your code if you've got this to work?

Thanks,

Tom

Parents
  • Tom,

Unfortunately, it looks like loading a library script in a PowerShell scheduled task script module is not currently possible:

Title: Load Library Script in Scheduled Task using PowerShell
    Solution: 71567
    URL: https://support.oneidentity.com/kb/71567

I checked, and this particular enhancement request is not current scheduled to be implemented, but it hasn't been rejected either. I'm digging into it and hopefully we will see some action on it.

• I'd hoped that as that article applies to versions "6.9, 6.8, 6.7, 6.5, 6.1" that it had been superseded by changes in v7.x :(

On the "This should work" side I found:

• The MMC UI lets me add a PS Library Script
    • The above article doesn't apply to 7.4
    • The SDK extracted below suggests to being able to do it

On the "This won't work" side I found:

• I just can't get it to work!

Perhaps for the benefit of anyone else who might run into this in the future, maybe you could adjust the UI so that it doesn't let you add a PS Library Script if it's not going to work?  That might save hair from being torn out :)

A colleague suggested instead that I save my library function in a a custom cmdlet, which seems to work pretty well.  It's a shame it's not quite as visible as the rest of the scripts in the Active Roles console, but it gets the job done.

Cheers,

Tom

• I'm not sure I follow... as far as I know Library Script behavior has not changed.  The docs incorrectly imply that you can use Library Scripts with scheduled task scripts - which you cannot.

Did you consider my idea of simply using a scheduled automation workflow to fire a policy script in which you can reference your library script?

• I did thanks yes, but we barely use Workflow at my company.  We have little scripts all over different servers all doing good work as I expect most IT organisations do and I wanted to bring them all into one place, so that everyone knows where to look for them. The function I want to share among multiple scripts is one which logs to a SQL database, again meaning that there's a central place to check whether any of those scripts are misbehaving or have run into trouble.

Not everyone knows Active Roles as well as I do at my company, but I'd hope that all engineers would work out a PS script.  Adding Workflow to script execution adds a little more complexity, and will make it a little harder for others to work out what's going on.

Tom

• I hear ya on the simplification.  Here's how I tackle this for clients:

If I create scheduled workflows, I created a folder under the workflows container called "Scheduled Workflows"

Since these usually fire scripts (as you intend to), under the Script Modules container, I create a script container called "Scheduled Workflows Support Scripts".  Then I usually name each script to match the name of the workflow it supports.

And there you have it, easy of access and "self documentation".

• I hear ya on the simplification.  Here's how I tackle this for clients:

If I create scheduled workflows, I created a folder under the workflows container called "Scheduled Workflows"

Since these usually fire scripts (as you intend to), under the Script Modules container, I create a script container called "Scheduled Workflows Support Scripts".  Then I usually name each script to match the name of the workflow it supports.

And there you have it, easy of access and "self documentation".

Children
No Data