Unable to set user attribute with $Request.Put method in powershell script

Hello,

I'm creating users from an HR database's table and the creation is working fine, now I need to trigger an ARS wokflow that executes a script post-creation: the script is aimed to enrich user's data with information got from a CSV file that is stored on the server.

I've created the following Powershell script inside the ARS WF (triggered by Create User event):

function onPostCreate($Request) {
	$path = "C:\mypath"
	Set-Location $path
	$fname = $Request.get("givenname")
	$lname = $Request.get("sn")
    $csv = Import-Csv -Path $path\myfile.csv -Delimiter "," -Header 'Name','Surname','DATA1','DATA2','DATA3'
	foreach ($row in $csv){
		if ( ($row.name -eq $fname) -and ($row.surname -eq $lname) ) {
			$data1 = $row.'DATA1'
			$data2 = $row.'DATA2'
			$data3 = $row.'DATA3'
			$Request.put("edsva-data1",$data1)
			$Request.put("edsva-data2",$data2)
			$Request.put("mobile",$data3)
			break
		}
	}
}

This script is basically searching the just created user on the CSV file, retrieve the data from the file and write those data into the user's attributes but the command $Request.PUT isn't working. By looking at the script debug log it seems the attributes are set but when I check the values on users, they are empty.

I've managed to workaround this issue by using "Set-QADUser" instead of "$Request.Put" but I'd really like to know what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • One obvious thing that leaps out at me here is that you are using on onPostCreate.

Strictly speaking, (and I know this may seem odd) but within a Change Workflow script activity, the name of the script function to fire doesn't matter.

The important point is that if you want these properties added to the object at creation time (which is do-able), you need to insert your script activity into your workflow above the user creation box.

's suggestion of using $DirObj is fine too and this could used even if the script activity is physically positioned after the user create.

• Thanks, that was pretty interesting.

I've used onPostCreate because my goal is to populate some user attributes (that aren't in HR database) when (or right after) the user is created.
    The SDK says that this function can be used for such kind of activities but I didn't know the difference between the script placing, above or after the user creation box, perhaps I have to read the doc a little more Slight smile

• The thing is that out-of-the-box, those pre-defined handlers are meant to be used in policy scripts that are embedded in Provisioning Policies.  This is a very different mechanism from Change Workflows.  The graphical nature of workflows allows you to insert the script "pre" or "post" the action that is being trapped (for example an object create or object modification).  As a result, as I had mentioned before, the name of the function doesn't matter anymore because it is the physical placement in the workflow that determines when the function will execute.

• The thing is that out-of-the-box, those pre-defined handlers are meant to be used in policy scripts that are embedded in Provisioning Policies.  This is a very different mechanism from Change Workflows.  The graphical nature of workflows allows you to insert the script "pre" or "post" the action that is being trapped (for example an object create or object modification).  As a result, as I had mentioned before, the name of the function doesn't matter anymore because it is the physical placement in the workflow that determines when the function will execute.

Children
No Data