MS Teams

Hi Team.

Is anyone managing MS Teams in anyway with ARS? 

We would like to delegate the ability to a select few service desk people to be able to create MS Teams channels. 

We have a Powershell script that can do it. Is there an easy way maybe of having them execute the PS from within ARS? 

Parents
  • No problem running the Teams scripts inside of Active Roles.

A couple of options I would suggest:

1) Create an Automation Workflow and add the script as an Activity to this.  Permission the Workflow for execution by whomever you like - there are built-in Access Templates for this purpose.

2) (This is more complicated to setup but might be slightly simpler for your users).  Create a Boolean virtual attribute something like VALaunchTeamsScriptCreate and associate it with the OU object class.  Then, via Web UI Customization, create a custom Web UI command linked to the OU object class  (that way you don't have to select an object as the context menu will populate simply by navigating into any OU in the Web UI).  Use the set property command type and have the command set your VA to TRUE.  Then, create a Change Workflow watching for changes to this OU property.  Add your script as an activity to this workflow.  You will want to strip out the "write-host" commands.

• In case it's not clear, the "advantage" of Option 2 above is that Web UI users just look at the right pane, see your custom command (maybe "Create Teams Channels") and click on it to fire the script.

• One thing for sure is you need to figure out how you will pass creds to your Connect-...

• For that particular point i am looking at using certificate based authentication within our Azure. That should be no problem to fix. Just need to get it running in a way that ARS will be happy to run. Something about the script block it does not like and giving me that error above. 

• Your code above doesn't reflect the suggestion I made concerning a "main body" type function.  Did you paste in some old code?

Looking through your code, I would make sure you remove your transcript stuff and the write-host's.

Your certificate / app approach is fine - you will need to import the certificate into the profile of your AR service account.

• Hi. 

So the script so far is below. Is this how you would expect it to be in ARS? 

The script is running as it should inside ARS from a Automation workflow. I have a VA that when ticked kicks off the workflow and then unticks the VA. The script also works outside ARS. 

I do have a question though. How can i set the work flow to only run from a specific Administration service? I am trying to keep the SSL certificate that is needed to run the process to a single Administration server. 

code so far:

#Connect-MicrosoftTeams
    Connect-MicrosoftTeams -CertificateThumbprint "something something" -ApplicationId "something something" -TenantId "something something"
    #

$time = Get-Date -Format "yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm"
    $logfile = "C:\ARS-Scripts\CreateTeams_task-$time.txt"
    Start-Transcript -Path $logfile -Append

function TheMainFunction ($Request)
    {

Create-NewTeam -ImportPath "C:\ARS-Scripts\CreateBulkTeams.csv"

}

function Create-Channel ($ChannelName, $GroupId)
    {   
            try {
                $teamchannels = $ChannelName -split ";" 
                  if ($teamchannels) {
                    for ($i = 0; $i -le ($teamchannels.count - 1) ; $i++) {
                        New-TeamChannel -GroupId $GroupId -DisplayName $teamchannels[$i]
                    }
                }
            }
            catch {
            }
        }

function Add-Users($Users, $GroupId, $CurrentUsername, $Role)
    {     
            try {
                $teamusers = $Users -split ";" 
                if ($teamusers) {
                    for ($j = 0; $j -le ($teamusers.count - 1) ; $j++) {
                        if ($teamusers[$j] -ne $CurrentUsername) {
                            Add-TeamUser -GroupId $GroupId -User $teamusers[$j] -Role $Role
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
            catch {
            }
        }

function Create-NewTeam {   
        param (   
            $ImportPath
        )   
        process {
            Import-Module MicrosoftTeams
            #$username = $cred.UserName
            $teams = Import-Csv -Path $ImportPath
            foreach ($team in $teams) {
                $getteam = get-team | Where-Object { $_.displayname -eq $team.'Team workspaces' }
                if ($getteam -eq $null) {
                    Write-Host "Start creating the team: " $team.'Team workspaces'
                    $group = New-Team -displayname $team.'Team workspaces' -Owner $team.'Owners 1' -MailNickName $team.MailNickName  -Visibility Private -AllowCreateUpdateChannels $false -AllowCreatePrivateChannels $false -AllowAddRemoveApps $false -AllowCreateUpdateRemoveTabs $false -AllowCreateUpdateRemoveConnectors $false -GiphyContentRating Strict -AllowDeleteChannels $false -AllowUserDeleteMessages $false -AllowOwnerDeleteMessages $false -AllowUserEditMessages $false
                    Write-Host "Adding team Owners..."
                    Add-Users -Users $team.Allowners -GroupId $group.GroupId -CurrentUsername $username  -Role owner 
                    Write-Host "Adding team Members..." -ForegroundColor Yellow
                    Add-Users -Users $team.Allmembers -GroupId $group.GroupId -CurrentUsername $username  -Role member 
                    Write-Host "Completed creating the team: " $team.'Team workspaces'
                    $team = $null
                }
                elseif($getteam -ne $null) {
                $teamname = $team.'Team workspaces'
                Write-Host "Team: $teamname exists " -ForegroundColor Black -BackgroundColor Magenta
                $teamname =$null
                }
            }
        }
    }

Stop-Transcript

• If your current workflow is responding to the tick of a property then what you have is a Change Workflow.  I can't think of a way to have the Change workflow only run on a specific service because I am not aware of service affinity being a property of a Change Workflow.  On the other hand, if this was setup as a Automation Workflow, you can definitely force that to run on only one machine as service affinity is a property of Automation Workflows.

Indeed, thinking about it, you could have your custom command stamp your VA which in turn triggers a Change Workflow to stamp the Automation workflow's edsvaStartWorkflow = TRUE.

VA Stamped ===> Triggers Change Workflow to Update Property of Automation Workflow (containing Teams script)  with edsvaStartWorkflow = TRUE.

• Thanks mate. So if i use a Automation workflow to change the VA to kick off the Change Automation , how do i initially kick off the Automation work flow? I dont want this to run on a schedule but just be run as and when the person requesting it needs it

• Change Workflow is where you detect the change to your VA.  That workflow then in turn sets edsvaStartWorkflow = TRUE on the Automation Workflow that contains your Teams logic.

• Hi mate. Sorry i am not following. So i have an Automation Workflow that contains the Powershell script that i want to run. Ok i get that. 

I then have a Change Workflow that detects changes to the VA. What i am not following is how is the Change Workflow making the Automation Workflow start? 

• An Activity in your Change Workflow writes to a property of the Automation Workflow object:  edsvaStartWorkflow.  The value applied is TRUE.  This will launch the Automation Workflow.  The Activity could either be a script Activity containing a PoSh script OR you could see if the Update Activity supports writing to a Workflow object type.

• Thanks. I will see if i can sort that part out. 

As a side issue, Am i right in thinking that on the Automation Workflow you can only specify the Administration Service to run on when its a scheduled task? Thats what it looks like to me. I need to be able to run on demand from the same server. Is this right or am i missing something 

• Thanks. I will see if i can sort that part out. 

As a side issue, Am i right in thinking that on the Automation Workflow you can only specify the Administration Service to run on when its a scheduled task? Thats what it looks like to me. I need to be able to run on demand from the same server. Is this right or am i missing something 

Children
No Data