"AelitaEDM.EDMOctetString" ComObject component dependency?

New-Object -ComObject "AelitaEDM.EDMOctetString"

I have installed the AR 8.1 ADSI, Shell, SDK, MMC on another server (just not the Service or Web Interface) we are specifically planning to use for automation but when I run the above code I get error:

New-Object : Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} failed to to the following error: 80040154 class not registered

But when I run it on out primary AR servers which we have the full suite installed it works fine so I seem to be missing a component but can't figure out which one?

  • Hi, ykara.

    Not a solution, but maybe a lead. I recently experienced some difficulties myself using the ADSI provider on a non-AR server computer (e.g., a simple workstation) - which absolutely should work. I did end up discovering that there is a known defect that describes the error I was experiencing, even though it didn't match the scenario description: see knowledge base article 4370620. The article claims that there are issues attempting to access system containers only, but in my case, it was any object no matter what container it was in. The ADSI provider simply did not work on the workstation at all.

    Unfortunately I never did come up with a solution; we opted to move on to other things and de-prioritised this problem. I would very much recommend opening a Support ticket, though.

    All of that being said, if the problem you're experiencing is limited to EDMOctetStrings, then it's probable that there might be other ways to solve your problem without having to use that. I haven't had to pull out the EDMOctetString class in many many years. If you're dealing with GUIDs, then you should be able to use the System.GUID class that is built-in to .NET. If you provide more detail about why you need it, it's possible that we could help find a workaround.


  • Hi Shawn

    The reason I was trying to use EDMOctetStrings is because I was experiencing a similar issue reported here

    But I've posted about that problem here