This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[Rebuild] - script call to rebuild a dynamic group, anyone?

Ok, Scriptsmiths - do any of you have a script you use to trigger a dynamic group membership 'Rebuild' programmatically?   The builtin scheduled task that performs the nightly evaluation and rebuild - lists a blank value where a script would be ..., and although I'm sure there must be a way to script-trigger the schedule task to run - I don't want to rebuild all groups.  Just the one or two mammoth groups that choke during the nightly.    I have a very large group or two, with  50K+ members - and last Thursday night after the general rebuild, it had only 13K users in tow.  So I had 37K upset users the day after.  It felt like every one of them was trying to OCS me at the same time.   I launch the gui, I find the group, I click the button [Rebuild] and a few thousand seconds later - happy users.

Any existing script in play by an ARS admin anywhere - or an inkling of where to start with a script that lets you trigger a group rebuild from the command line without having to evaluate/rebuild all DG's at the same time?

tia

OMG this captcha kills me - it LOOKS LIKE A STORE FRONT TO ME!

Parents
  • This reminds me of a task on my to-do list- stop using the lame built in dynamic group function. You may want to do some custom scripting to improve upon this. 

For instance, do a compare do the existing group, then action the existing group.  This is what ARS really needs to do, the way they do it now is extremely dangerous.

IE: Dynamic group rule is all members of department "Purchasing"

GroupA is a dynamic group.

asmith
    bsmith
    tthompson

some hiring and firing was done, and now all Purchasing people are:

asmith
    tthompson
    arogers
    abanana

Currently, ARS will "rebuild" the group. Deleting all, and adding the filter match.   This is so bad on so many levels.

What needs to happen is this:

$1 = get group members of group A. (asmith, bsmith, tthompson)

$2 = get users that match condition department IT, (asmith,tthompson,arogers,abanana)

do a comparison.

for users that exist in list $2 but do not exist in $1, add to group A.  (tthompson, arogers, abanana)

for users that do not exist in $2 but exist in $1, remove from group A. (bsmith)

Write a failure to email or eventvwr and report on it.

This is so much safer on so many levels to just action the group based on changes rather than completely demolish it.  Since ARS does not support doing this natively, write yourself a script to do so. I haven't made one yet but it's on my to-do list.

• This reminds me of a task on my to-do list- stop using the lame built in dynamic group function. You may want to do some custom scripting to improve upon this. 

For instance, do a compare do the existing group, then action the existing group.  This is what ARS really needs to do, the way they do it now is extremely dangerous.

IE: Dynamic group rule is all members of department "Purchasing"

GroupA is a dynamic group.

asmith
    bsmith
    tthompson

some hiring and firing was done, and now all Purchasing people are:

asmith
    tthompson
    arogers
    abanana

Currently, ARS will "rebuild" the group. Deleting all, and adding the filter match.   This is so bad on so many levels.

What needs to happen is this:

$1 = get group members of group A. (asmith, bsmith, tthompson)

$2 = get users that match condition department IT, (asmith,tthompson,arogers,abanana)

do a comparison.

for users that exist in list $2 but do not exist in $1, add to group A.  (tthompson, arogers, abanana)

for users that do not exist in $2 but exist in $1, remove from group A. (bsmith)

Write a failure to email or eventvwr and report on it.

This is so much safer on so many levels to just action the group based on changes rather than completely demolish it.  Since ARS does not support doing this natively, write yourself a script to do so. I haven't made one yet but it's on my to-do list.

Children
No Data