This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HistoryDB installation and History service configuration issue in v7.1

Hello !

I'm trying to install the HistoryDB on my development environment, running Q1IM v7.1.0.

I installed the HistoryDB administration and configuration tools in the same folder as my original install (under C:\ProgramFiles\Dell\One Identity Manager\) (and maybe I made a mistake there and should have selected a different folder like C:\ProgramFiles\Dell\HistoryDB. Anyone could confirm ?)

I then installed the database on the same database server as the one where my original database is located. Everything ran smoothly until the very last step, the service configuration. I was under the impression that the wizard was about the overwrite the JobService.cfg file from my original installed so I clicked on "skipped the service installation" and finished the installation and closed the "Configuration Wizard".

I was hoping that the "Job Service Configuration" wizard would enable me to generate a new configuration file for the History Service and save it... But when I open it, it seems to be editing the JobService.cfg file and I'm having the same doubts as before...

I did not really find any information on the history service specifically in the installation documentation.

I'm at a loss as to how I should proceed.

Was it a mistake to install the HistoryDB tools in the same folder as the original install ? If so, should I attempt a re-installation (deleting the History database and running everything from the start, selecting a different folder at the beginning) ?

Should I create a now configuration file for the History Service ? If so, how should I name it ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Robin OLIVER

• Hi Robin,
    It was a mistake to install the historyDB into the same folder as the original install. This is the reason why it tries to overwrite the original configuration.
    It is enough to run the setup.exe for the historyDB again and specify a different installation folder. Then run the "Job Service Configuration" for the historyDB.

Documentation:

https://support.quest.com/technical-documents/identity-manager/7.1.1/data-archiving-administration-guide

• Hi,

Additionally I would re-install the tools for the main DB into the original install folder as some of these files will have been over-written by the HDB tools install.

Best practice is to install the HDB tools and server service on it's own server ... away from everything else.

The actual History Database 'can' be co-located on the same database server as your main DB but understand this will consume resources away from your main DB. This is an OK setup for a dev/lab environment with small numbers but not a recommended approach for a production HDB infrastructure.

HTH, Barry.
  • Hello Tomi,

Thanks for the help !

I reinstalled the tools in a dedicated folder and edited a JobService.cfg. I managed to start up my History DB service. Everything seems to work fine...except that when I open the JobQueueInfo and log into my History database, steps don't seem to be processed by the service : they remain in the "TRUE" execution status. It tried to restart the HistoryDB service but I'm getting a Windows error 1061 "The service cannot accept control messages at this time."

I'm sure this is related to my mistake earlier. If you have any idea I'd be happy to hear it !

Thanks a lot!
  • Please check that the both services are started against the correct folder. Right click the service for properties page and look at the path to executable.
    To correct the folder delete the service with command prompt command:
    sc delete SERVICENAME. Then create the service again
    sc create SERVICENAME binpath= "FOLDER\viNetworkService.exe" Displayname= "SERVICEDISPLAYNAME" start= auto

Please also re-install the tools as Barry mentioned for the main DB into the original install folder as the HDB install over-writes the files. This shouldn't have anything to do with the HDB service problem.

I hope these tips help you to resolve the problem.

• That did the trick !

For some reason, the service was started against C:\Program Files\Dell\One Identity Manager\HDBService.exe.
    I disabled it and recreated a new one with the correct binpath and the JobQueue of my HistoryDB now seems to be processing steps.

I will reinstall the main DB tools as well, even though it doesn't seem to cause any problem (yet !).

Thanks an awful lot to you both for your quick help !
  • Hello Tomi,

So both services, main database and HDB have to be pointing to FOLDER\viNetworkService.exe ? I mean,

HDB:
    C:\Program Files\Dell\One Identity Manager HDB Service\viNetworkService.exe

Main database:
    C:\Program Files\Dell\One Identity Manager\viNetworkService.exe

Thank you