Using variables in SoD checkin

Imagine a scenario where you have AD controlling access to hundreds (this is the key word here) of applications meaning that a single AD group actually represents an entitlement in a specific application.

Let's say that my current rules are  doing checks between two AD Groups based on their extended properties that describe the "type" or "purpose" of the group like this:

Sub rule 1:

An AD Group that meets the following conditions:

• Has Extended property that equals "Development"

Sub rule 2:

An AD group that meets the following conditions:

• Has Extended property that equals "Change Management"

Now these Extended properties are not system specific which causes false SoD violations as having a group for "Development" in application X and a group for "Change Management" in application Y is not really a SoD. To reduce these false SoDs I would like to make the rule system specific.

I would have an option to automate a deployment that would make a variant of each rule for every system. But If I have 100 SoD rules and 500 applications that I want to check SoD against this would generate 50 000 SoD rules. Not a nice option.

Is there a way of making SoD rules check that a certain value is the same between Subrule1 and Subrule2 so that I could use a single rule to achieve this? As an example, let's say that these applications are also modeled as Extended properties and linked to the groups. Something like:

Sub rule 1:

An AD Group that meets the following conditions:

• Has Extended property "Development"

AND

• Has Extended property  @application

Sub rule 2:

An AD group that meets the following conditions:

• Has Extended property  "Change Management"

AND

• Has Extended property  @application

So this would only cause a violation if both groups have the same extended property @application (not caring what the actual value is as long it is the same in both groups) and that the other would also have the "Developer" and other "Change Management".

• You cannot use any variables in the rule definitions, not even in the property range check, as far as I know 

But maybe I have a proposal to reduce the number of rules depending on some criteria I wanna check with you first.

a) If you would have something like one SoD rule that covers every application, are the exception approvers always the same people?

b) When you talk about 100 SoD rules per system, are these different combinations of extended properties and if so, can you reduce the amount by saying, you are not allowed to have more than one inside one application?

• Good point on the exception approvers. Actually the system information is stored in a custom object to which there is a direct link from the group (depending on the rule either UNS, LDAP or AD group in this case) but I was just using the Extended property as an example. Every group has an extended property that describes the "SoD value" of the group like in my example "Change Management". So saying you should not have more than one of those within an application would not work as you may well have more groups that have extended properties that will not cause a conflict.

And the other downside of this variable approach would also be the fact that I would have to set the SQL mode parameter on which in turns prevents Compliance checking on IT shop requests.

In terms of reducing the numbers I have thrown out the idea that not all applications are necessarily so important SoD-wise.