Report Designer Header und Group band and line breaks

Hi community,

I try to create a report with groupings.

Therefore I use the GroupHeaderBand control.

In the grouping I want to to create a column-header and after this data.

So I tried a simple HeaderBand and a ColumnHeaderBand followed by a DataBand.

But if I show the preview the ordering is as follows:

HeaderBand, ColumnHeaderBand, GroupHeaderBand, DataBand.

How can I get the Header-Bands between the GroupHeaderBand and the DataBand?

Another question: How do I get the text fields in the DataBand to use line breaks. I activated "can grow" and "Grow to height" and "Can Break" but it only displays correct in HTML Preview.

Thank you in advance.

• Which version are you using?

Can you give a visual example of what you are trying to achieve with the Group Header - ColumnHeader - Databand construct?

In regards, to the text fields, is the band the textbox resides also marked as Can Grow?

• We are using one identity manager 7.1.4

The aim is to have a group band with a group header which appears once per group and starts a new page before.

After the Group Header a simple table should be shown. The header row for this table should appear on every page.

Therefore I planned to use a some type of table header (and tried "Header"- and "Column Header"-Band) to show on every page and a data band to show the data.

Example

Group header "Category1"

Header Band: Column1, Column2, Column3

DataBand:      Rec1_1,  Rec1_2,  Rec1_3

Rec2_1,  Rec2_2,  Rec2_3

Page Break

Header Band: Column1, Column2, Column3

DataBand:      RecX_1,    RecX_2,  RecX_3

RecX+1_1,  RecX+1_2,  RecX+1_3

Page Break

Group header "Category2"

In regards to the text fields braking: The band is also set to Can Grow. As written, in HTML preview it looks fine.

• line breaks is now funnctioning: The needed property is word wrap (Context menu of the field or Properties 2. Text Addiitional)

• One option that is working is using a table component inside the group, instead of the Header Band / Data Band combination. You can specify your column headers in the table component.

Depending on your data structure it might as well be feasible to use a master-detail structure with two data-bands where the first data band is the category and the second data-band is used in combination with a header.

• Thank you. That´s at least a workaround, but it reminds me in a bad way on my crystal reports and SQL Reporting Service experiences. Especialy crystal reports archives nearly everything through work arounds. :-)

At least I know it´s not meant to work as I thought.

I came up with a repeating group Header which also contains the headers for the columns.

• I have worked with Crystal Report and others and believe when I am saying that the one we are using can achieve far more OOTB than others with workarounds. But anyway, if you want to know more about the inner workings of the used report engine, check the following link about the rendering order of the available bands. https://www.stimulsoft.com/en/documentation/online/user-manual/report_internals_bands_order_render.htm

• I believe :-). 

Crystal reports is much worse, because everything has to be archived with subreports and subsets, because the structure is so fixed.

the stimulsoft designer looks a bit like SSRS-Designer with data sets/sources, variables and so on but with diffrent controls.

Thank you for the link. That is really helpfull.