SMTP service account unable to authenticate with our exchange server

Hi,

We have configured the SMTP service account in Mail notification. But we kept getting authentication error

<x><w>2020-05-21 11:06:08 +12:00 - \oneidentityfst - VI.JobService.JobComponents.MailComponent - 64b5bed0-8214-423a-bd48-5871d4602681: Errors occurred
Server supported authentication mechanisms: NTLM, LOGIN
Component supported authentication mechanisms: XOAUTH2, SCRAM-SHA-256, SCRAM-SHA-1, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, PLAIN, LOGIN
[MailKit.Security.AuthenticationException] AuthenticationInvalidCredentials: 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful
at VI.JobService.ProcessorThread._ExecuteJob(Job job, JobResult result)
at VI.JobService.JobComponents.MailComponent.Activate(String task)
at VI.JobService.JobComponents.MailComponent._TaskSendMail()
at VI.JobService.JobComponents.MailComponent._Send(MimeMessage message, MailSecurity security)
at VI.JobService.JobComponents.MailComponent._GetOrOpenSmtpConnection()
at MailKit.Net.Smtp.SmtpClient.Authenticate(Encoding encoding, ICredentials credentials, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

I have made sure the credentials are working because I use the same credential can send email via powershell on the server

Parents
  • if you look at that jobs parameters in job queue info it will show what it is using for credentials to connect to the Exchange server. Please ensure that it has the correct credentials.

• Yes, I have checked. The credential is correct. Still kept getting this error message

• I think that something is wrong with the setup see the error message which points to the server and the component not having matching authentication types: 

Errors occurred Server supported authentication mechanisms: NTLM, LOGIN
    Component supported authentication mechanisms: XOAUTH2, SCRAM-SHA-256, SCRAM-SHA-1, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, PLAIN, LOGIN

Maybe it is trying to do NTLM which is not supported by the component when it should be using just LOGIN. You could always do a network capture to see what is happening when attempting to authenticate.

Are  you using an encrypted connection to the SMTP server using a certificate?

• I think that something is wrong with the setup see the error message which points to the server and the component not having matching authentication types: 

Errors occurred Server supported authentication mechanisms: NTLM, LOGIN

Maybe it is trying to do NTLM which is not supported by the component when it should be using just LOGIN. You could always do a network capture to see what is happening when attempting to authenticate.

Are  you using an encrypted connection to the SMTP server using a certificate?

Children