SQL connection as domain service account (8.1.2)

Hello All, 

The scenario:  I need to make the connection to the SQL server as one domain account, then log in to the tools via AD authentication as my own AD account. 

The setup so far:   I am trying to use the advanced connection from the normal DB connector screen. Note, if you use the config encryptor you go through the same screens. 

The issue:   When attempting to create this connection it seems as if the credentials are not being properly passed. I get an error telling me the login failed for a user with no username.

Does anyone have experience setting up this situation that could help?

-Aaron 

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Trevor, 

The SQL is in mixed mode and the user does have permissions to connect. 

If I log in as the service account I can connect via windows integration. However, directly connecting to SSMS using the ad password method produces the same error. So at least I know it's not a one identity specific issue. 

If you happen to know more that I would help I'll take it but at least I ahve a path to walk down again. 

Thanks, 

Aaron

• For those who might come later....

The AD Password option for connecting to SQL is for Azure AD only.

There is currently no easy way to send the AD credentials of someone else to SQL. You must be logged in as the service account or run as the service account so that the usual kerberos will work. 

Unfortunately this one is on Microsoft.