Source Control (git) for Identity Manager

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has come up with a means of getting away from zip file transports and into storing text-based configs in source control such as git. 

The options I see are:

Use transports for extraction

1. Developers use the standard OneIM tools to make changes.
  2. Developer uses change labels to tag changes as normal.
  3. Developers extract transports for their change label.
  4. Developers run some kind of automated script to 'explode' the transport and place the DbObjects into a standard directory tree within source control

The script in step 3 would need to be able to merge the DbObjects in a given transport with already existing objects in source control.

Completely ignore transports

1. Developer uses standard tools to make changes.
  2. Developer uses change labels to tag changes as normal.
  3. An external tool is run with a change label or list of change labels as input.
  4. This tool could then examine each label and enumerate objects to be imported to source control.
  5. Objects are exported into a standard directory tree within source control, using a file format/structure deemed appropriate (not necessarily transport XML).

Personally I like the first option as it uses the OOTB tool (transporter) to extract config. It also means that I could theoretically rebuild a transport based on source control commits and import that with the OOTB transporter (for CD).

Anyone have thoughts, learnings etc on the topic?

Parents Reply Children
No Data