Upgrading from 8.1.5 to 9.1 issues with sync projects

We have upgraded our Dev environment to version 9.1 from 8.1.5. Database, workstation tools upgraded and new Database Agent running.

Last hurdle is to get the Synchronization Editor to upgrade the sync projects.

Firstly, the upgrade process of our job server did not play ball with the new Database Agent, so we ended up creating a new virtual machine for a new job server. This process was straight forward and we got the Database Agent working.

Now we have some DPR_Migrate_Shell processes stuck in the Job Queue and I believe this is for the sync projects that needs to be upgraded. Problem is that the sync projects reference the previous job server.

We tried to edit the sync projects and change which job server they use, but just after opening the sync project we receive the following error message...

"The synchronization project is already being worked on by system process. When you open that project you cannot save you changes."

I feel are options are rather limited. Do we end with error the frozen jobs and restart the Sync Editor (and hope for the best) or do we revert to our VM snapshots and try the whole upgrade process again. If we are to revert to snapshots, then I think it might be worth disconnecting the histrory database and uninstalling the tools.

Worth adding that on the old job server we ran the workstation tools for the main database as well as the history database; they were installed into separate folders. I do wonder if it is because of this that our initial job server upgrade failed.

Any views will be highly welcomed.

Many thanks

Werner

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

Same situation, same scenario: Database recovered to a dev server. Same error found: We can no longer edit our sync projects , same message appears "The sync project is already being worked on". We recreated the broker in the db to no success.  See if the experts can lend a hand! 

• Which job server is set in the sync editor for the synchronization project that needs to be upgraded? I am guessing it is the old job server. Which server is set in Designer as the update server? If you end the migration jobs, you can use the following to trigger them again per sync project

1) open object broswer

2) navigate to DPRShell

3) select the project that needs updating

4) Select the Actions tab below and navigate to Events

5) Select Migrate and click Generate

6) A Migrate Shell job will be triggered

• Thank you Troy.

We have since reverted our Dev environment back to 8.1.5 using the VMWare snapshots we took and found that the Azure and Exchange Sync Projects were not happy there either.

We found that Azure wanted us to change the password of the account we were using to connect. The 8.1.5 sync projects are connecting again now and we are scheduling in another upgrade to 9.1.