Azure Active Directory Sync Hanging

I have the exact same problem at three of my customers. 

The Azure Active Directory Sync is set to read-only.  Ordinarily a full sync completes in about 4 hours, but every now and then, it keeps running for days.  It will keep running until someone restarts the Job-Server.  All the sync's after this one will produce a frozen job with error "same full sync is still running". 

If you look at the log, no errors appear, and you see pages of normal updates.  None the less it says "Running" and never ends. 

Two of the customers are on 8.1.5, but one is on 9.1.1. 

I tried turning on diagnostics for the Job Server but this just produces millions of lines of trace info.  

What can cause the sync to hang?  How can I diagnose this problem?

• Hello,

Without additional details it's hard to say why the syncs would hang this way.

"Ordinarily a full sync completes in about 4 hours, but every now and then, it keeps running for days."

- What's different in the environment during this time?  Is it time of day, something like that?

- What are the system stats?  Is memory usage high?

There are a lot of factors that could come into play, including the sync configuration itself.  But start by looking at what may be going on when the sync runs in 4 hours vs days.  Is the network busy?  Updates running?  Other syncs or jobs that are running at the same time?

Trevor

• As I mentioned, I have three customers that are reporting this problem, so it's important that I solve it.  I've been following the sync, and notice that you can keep refreshing the logs while the sync is running.  For the first 4 hours you see progress as more output appears in the PDF.  After 4 hours it appears as if the SYNC has completed.  However, the status is reported in the log as "Running".  If I look at viNetworkService, I see that there are no slots active.  The sync has definitely completed.  But it remains "running" and all subsequent Azure sync's fail with the message "Can't run because the same full sync is running".   What could cause this to happen?

• Hi Haaf,

If you log into the job server running the synchronization on the job-server logs (or the webpage allowing you to view the job server) you should be able to see more details than in the sync log.

Generally you can see what step the synchronization is at and how it's progressing on the job server. Can you take a look on the job server to see what the sync looks like there?

Also, the fact that future sync's fail / get frozen with the message ' can't run because the same full sync is running' is expected. When a synchronization starts the first step in most sync's is to see if that sync is already running and if so it freezes. I wouldn't worry too much about that message :).