Dell 3646-Inspiron updated from Win8.1 to Win10
Will not do a restart/boot after 1 normal Shut Down, Hangs at Dell logo, no keyboard Function or anything, Power indicator remains on. No Post codes because it doesn’t try to Post. Have to do a Forced power off than it will boot. Normal power on boot ups work fine.
If you do a F2 go into setup, make no changes just save/exit and boot, you can do restarts all day long. Until you do (1) normal shut down and startup, then restart will not work. Until you do (1) normal shut down and startup, Then restart will not work.
Update Bios, cleared CMOS, Ran all dells diagnostic and no issues were found and etc.
Even disabled fast shut down/fast start and it made no difference.
Last Test, did clean install of Windows 10 from ISO DVD, no other programs installed.
After boot up did a couple of restarts and then did (1) normal shut down and power on startup, Then 1 restart which failed to restart.
Observed Boot sequence
1. Normal start screen lightens and key board indicators light for 3 or 4 seconds
2. Then circle dell logo appears, 4 or 5 seconds.
3. After that Key board indicators turn off and Dot Pinwheel starts (This is Post Time).
4. Than screen goes blank for many seconds, and windows startup with welcome + Dot Pinwheel appears four may seconds until
5. Your desk top appears, additional boot up continues in background for a minute or so. You may get pop up message if various apps didn’t get started fast enough.
When restart doesn’t work, restart shutdown screen appears (Similar to normal shutdown screen), Screen etc. flickers as startup begins and it stops between steps 2 & 3 above.
(Believed to not even start Post, that’s why there are no beep or led error codes).
Issue seems to have an association with System Service “POWER”.
With System Service “POWER” Disabled you can due normal Power up/Shout downs and restarts all day.
But you can’t access any of the power settings and the wireless adapter is disabled. So disabling System Service “POWER” is not an acceptable solution, but it may be some sort of clue.
Something seems to be changing something associated with BIOS CMOS settings, when a normal shut down vs. a restart shutdown. Otherwise doing a Bios save/exit and boot wouldn’t make restart work until you down a normal shutdown. Don’t know how to figure out what’s being changed and why.
Has anyone else has reported this same issue? Have any Ideas on what to try to fix it?