How to upgrade Safeguard 2.6 to latest version.

Hi Experts,

We are currently using safeguard 2.6 (SPS and SPP)  and was advised by support team to upgrade it to the latest version 6.0. I'd like to ask if there's any procedure that I can follow on how to do the upgrade.

appreciate if anyone can help me or point me to the right direction.

regards,

JD

Parents
  • Hi JD

Have you checked out the release notes?

I know for SPP there is a section at the end of the release notes that covers the upgrade steps and I believe it is the same for SPS.

This may give you a starting point.

Process for SPP is fairly straight forward and process patches all the cluster members for you.

Best regards

Tim

• Hi Tim,

I've already checked and reviewed the release notes. I've learned also that in our current version 2.6 where we have SPP and SPS features are no longer supported for dual instance. if I'm going to upgrade to 6.6 I could only upgrade to SPP and I needed another appliance for SPS or virtual. 

Thank you for your help Tim.

regards,

John

• Hi John

Yes you are correct the built in SPS has now been removed in favour of an additional virtual or physical appliance in later SPP code releases.

Sorry. I had assumed that you had already crossed this bridge.

You will need to confirm with your One Identity account manager but I believe if you have a Safeguard appliance(s) with the built in SPS and you upgrade to a later version where SPS has been removed, you can get a free  license for a virtual appliance(s) to allow you to upgrade.

PLEASE CHCK THIS with One Identity direct though!!! Maybe someone from One Identity will see this and be able to confirm.

The built I SPS was an old version of SPS code with many features missing. This version was part of a deal One Identity did with Balabit to OEM their technology before they then purchased Balabit. So lots of features were missing and you could not use the analytics feature.

So while there is additional work to be carried out to provision the extra SPS appliance(s) you get a lot more supported connection types and features.

Best regards

Tim.

• Hi Tim,

Thank you again for your reply. I already spoke with our account manager and advised us to do the same to create virtual appliance for SPS.

regards,

John 

• Hi John

If you check out the chapter  "SPP 2.7 or later migration guidance" in the spp admin guide it will give you guidance on migrating to an external SPS. It is .Appendix B in the 6.0 admin guide

The SPS virtual requires a basic Linux machine to be defined. The you just open the ISO image and it will build the SPS for you.

SPS supports a cluster model as well as a High availability model BUT the High Availability is ONY AVAILABLE on physical SPS hardware.

If you deploy SPS virtually you need to plan to use the Hypervisor to provide resilience.

You will need to use the "Join" feature to link the SPP and SPS together.

If you cluster the SPS virtual appliances they will provide load balancing of sessions coming from SPP.

I know SPP quite well but am still learning about SPS. However I have been able deploy SPS using the defaults it is supplied with and the Join feature to allow me to get to a point where I can initiate sessions from SPP in the same way you could before they split the products.

You also pick up 2 extra proxies (telnet + mainframe) when you deploy the SPP joined to the SPS and I believe the number of prixies will increase as they take the product forward.

Good luck

Best regards

TIm

• Thank you Tim! I'm now in the process of provisioning VM's for SPP and SPS using the ISO image.

Reply Children
  • Hello, Jalcedo

Thank you a lot for your topic as actually we have the same question: how to upgrade 2.11 on the latest version and migrate SPS to VM host.

I just want to update that topic information and please share with us what is your current result and what was your migration plan? Did you keep old configuration from 2.11 and used it on the new one or have to run it manually on the new version? Thanks a lot for sharing any of your results with migration!