This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Dynamic from email address in a workflow?

Hi guys,

Right now we have some new hire and departure workflows set up on a per-user basis, as HR wants the emails to come from them, rather than an HR alias. I was wondering if it's possible to have the from address in a workflow be dynamic based on the initiator of the workflow. I'm assuming this is not possible, since from addresses are chosen on the email notification dropdown, but I was curious if anyone has figured out a way to do this?

Right now my only thought to get this to work is to have the initiator also be added in the to field, as that will at least have them on the email chain. But if it's possible to make the initiator the sender then that would be the best.

• at first glance on Workflow Email notification:
    1. From: I always used to set static ARS.DoNotReply@mycompany.com
    2. To: can have different options for email-format:
    2.a) To-notify-requester
    2.b) To-notify-Approver
    2.c) both options can be set to be resolved on-fly during the concrete workflow triggered execution: Requester, Initiator, Initiator.Manager, TargetObject.Manager etc...
  • So it does not seem like there's a way to have a dynamic from address then? It seems that way, so I suppose adding the requestor will have to work.
  • Though the built-in notification activities can be useful, to achieve what you are looking for, it would not be a huge deal to implement your notification using a script activity that builds up your e-mail from a combination of AR $Request object values, calculated values and pre-defined pieces of HTML code. Just putting that out there.
  • Hm, that's a good idea as well. I do actually have powershell scripts for sending email notifications for other things, so I could probably build that out as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.