This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Add script to specific user attribute

Hello,

I'm trying to add a script to users attributes that will generate a 8 digit pin every 24 hours.

We  have the script ready to go and will set it up in a scheduled task however,  I am having trouble linking the script to the specific attribute.

Does anyone have any suggestions or KBs i can use to create this.

• Hello,

Without seeing your script and what you are doing, my best suggestion is to implement a boolean flag on User objects using a new Active Roles Virtual Attribute. Then, either in your script or in an Automation Workflow, you can search for Users with this flag set and then stamp their attribute.

You can expose the flag in the Web Interface or flag them in an Automation Workflow or script.

• If you are going to set this up in a Scheduled Task script, then everything will most likely need to be done in the script. You can then specify the attribute that needs to be set in a Set-QADUser cmdlet.

You can see a sample script of this in the following KB article:

support.oneidentity.com/.../how-to-automate-population-of-virtual-attribute-based-upon-streetaddress-for-group-family

Another route you might be able to go is to setup an Automation Scheduled Workflow and in the workflow add a Change step to insert the returned value of the script into a specific attribute. This would most likely need to be contained within a Search step, assuming the users receiving the new 8-digit pin need to be searched for or filtered.

• is there a KB to set this up?

• There are a number of ways in which this could be implemented. They are documented, but not all in one spot, since this could tie into several components.

I suggest starting with the Active Roles Administration Guide. There are also a number of solutions in the knowledge base flagged as "How To" articles which you might find useful.

I recommend designing the solution front end first, but implementing the back end first. Decide what you want to expose to your users in the Active Roles Web Interface, if anything, and then configure the solution so that it reacts to those triggers. When the back end does what you want it to do, then you can expose it to your Users.

Change Workflows or Policy Scrips are real-time, while Automation Workflows and Scheduled Tasks offer scheduled, bulk processing options. If you need a highly reliable solution, you may choose to implement something real-time and also have a redundant bulk processing option as well - this is how Active Roles Dynamic Groups are implemented.