This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Application Pool stops - No IIS Worker Process - Event ID 5009 with exit code c0000135 - http 503 error - Fresh Install ARS 7.3.1

Having followed the instructions and prerequisites, we cannot get the websites on our fresh install of ARS 7.3.1 to work. We have matched our install to an existing install that works. We have the correct .NET Framework and copied all of the settings from the working server. After hitting the ARWebSelfService or ARWebAdmin portal address, The Application Pool stops after five 5009 errors in the Microsoft system log, and the web session returns Http error 503.  What is strange is that even when the Application Pool is running, there is no Worker Process running in IIS (vs8.5).

Thanks and have a great day!

• There are a few root causes for Event ID 5009. Can you please provide the full event details?

Also ensure that the .NET temporary files have been cleared. They are located here:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Run iisreset /stop and delete the contents of this container, then run iisreset /start

• Thanks Terrance!

The Temporary ASP.NET Files folder was empty.  I don't have any ARS logs because the IIS Worker Process never started.

From Windows Application log - Event 1000

Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 8.5.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x5215df96
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.19304, time stamp: 0x5c7f684f
    Exception code: 0xc0000135  <-----this implies a component is missing
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000ecf30
    Faulting process id: 0x1570
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d51006541581fa
    Faulting application path: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 91cdf561-7bf9-11e9-811f-00505693906a
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 
    From Windows System log - Event 5009
    A process serving application pool 'New AppPool' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '292'. The process exit code was '0xc0000135'.​ <-----this implies a component is missing.
    After five 5009 events, IIS is set to stop the Application Pool from running and then a 5002 event is generated.

I followed the ASR 7.3 instructions and pre-reqs a hand full of times...   not sure where else to look so I thought I'd reach out to this forum.

Thanks!!
  • Are you missing any required IIS components? Here they are, from the Active Roles 7.3.1 Release Notes:

On Windows Server 2008 R2, Web Interface requires the

Web Server (IIS) server role with the following role
    services:
    - Web Server/Common HTTP Features/
    - Static Content
    - Default Document
    - HTTP Errors
    - HTTP Redirection
    - Web Server/Application Development/
    - ASP.NET
    - .NET Extensibility
    - ASP
    - ISAPI Extensions
    - ISAPI Filters
    - Web Server/Security/
    - Basic Authentication
    - Windows Authentication
    - Request Filtering
    - Management Tools/IIS 6 Management Compatibility/
    - IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility

On Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, or
    Windows Server 2016 Web Interface requires the Web
    Server (IIS) server role with the following role services:
    - Web Server/Common HTTP Features/
    - Default Document
    - HTTP Errors
    - Static Content
    - HTTP Redirection
    - Web Server/Security/
    - Request Filtering
    - Basic Authentication
    - Windows Authentication
    - Web Server/Application Development/
    - .NET Extensibility
    - ASP
    - ASP.NET
    - ISAPI Extensions
    - ISAPI Filters
    - Management Tools/IIS 6 Management Compatibility/
    - IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
    Internet Information Services (IIS) must be configured to
    provide Read/Write delegation for the following features:
    - Handler Mappings
    - Modules
    Use Feature Delegation in Internet Information Services
    (IIS) Manager to confirm that these features have
    delegation set to Read/Write.

• Yeah I found those lists in the manual and I've been checking the list of installed components, along with the required Features and their rights, for a number of days now. 

• Check the registry and look at this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319\SKUs

What .NET versions are listed?

• v4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.5.3, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1

Thanks

• This looks good.

The stack trace seems to indicate a missing IIS component, but they all seem to be there.

I think, most likely, some IIS component is not registered properly.

Try performing a clean uninstall/reinstall of IIS. Here is a good Microsoft resource:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/friis/2017/01/16/how-to-perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-iis/

• That was a good idea. Unfortunately there is no change. Without even hitting the website, after a fresh IIS and ARS install,  there were five 5009 errors which induced a 5002, shutting down the ARWebAppPool.

I not only removed IIS, but ARS as well. With the ARS install,  IIS is installed and configured with the correct components and features listed in the ARS documentation.

Let me know if you have any ideas ;)

• If it's not IIS, then perhaps there is a .NET dependency which is not registered properly.

Try using this to blow away .NET and then reinstall:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2008/08/28/net-framework-cleanup-tool-users-guide/