Workflows Launches Workflow?

We have some different divisions that I have created workflows to manage, but there are some items that are duplicated over multiple workflows. Is there a way to have a Workflow launch another workflow? If so, it would allow me to consolidate the common tasks in multiple workflows into a single workflow, which the originating workflows could call on.

• Hi Daniel

The quick answer is yes.

It all to do with how you wanted the workflows to execute, and on what trigger.

IE, the first workflow may be set to execute on the Creation of a user object, by some user, within some Container/OU. 

Then within that workflow you could set some value (for instance a custom Virtual Attribute)

Next you could create either

1) Create a Automated/Scheduled workflow, which searches a location (your domain for instance) for any user objects, where your custom virtual attribute is set to a certain value. 

Then as the next step in the workflow, you'd make whatever changes you're trying to make. Remember to clear the custom Virtual Attribute, so next time the workflow executes it doesn't try and do the change again.

2) Create a Change workflows, which executes on modification of custom virtual attribute, of a user object, by some user, in some container/OU (you may need to filter on the value not being cleared), then just add the steps you need in the workflow

If you have a particular use case, let me know.

Cheers

Stu

• Stu hinted at this but I am going to call it out specifically:  Sequencing of workflows can be tricky because the activities internal to them are not executed entirely sequentially.  This is especially true if your workflow contains a mix of Powershell (PoSh) activities and out-of-the-box ones.  Depending on their complexity, the execution of the PoSh activities (which fire as individual PoSh runtime environments) my take a while.  If you are setting attributes in them that a subsequent activity depends on, you could run into trouble because the values you are looking for won't be in place yet.  There are ways to mitigate this but it definitely requires forethought.