Web Interface crashes when enumerating large groups

We are in the process of upgrading from ARS 6.9 to 7.3.3. We both versions running in parallel and are planning a cutover soon. However, on ARS 7.3.3, the web interface hangs and eventually crashes while attempting to enumerate large groups. For example, we have a group with over 42,000 members, and the site crashes consistently with this group and those of similar size. This happens even after installing the latest 7.3.3 patch. Restarting the ARS and IIS services does not work. We have to reboot the server in order to bring the web interface back online. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Parents
  • We do. I've open a case and it went to R&D, they confirmed the issue. The state is: to be fixed in a future release. I don't have other information at the moment.

• Hi Mireand,

I worked with support yesterday evening and we were able to resolve the issue. The problem was the default memory handling in IIS.

1. Open IIS and expand the server and select Application Pools.

2. In the right-hand pane right-click ARWebAppPool -> Advanced Settings...

3. Scroll down to Private Memory Limit (KB) and set it to 0 and click OK. You may need to start ARWebAppPool if it's stopped.

4. In elevated PowerShell run iisreset.

The above resolved the issue for us. IIS was limited to 1GB of memory, so when large groups were enumerated and IIS hit this limit, the ARWebAppPool stopped, which resulted in the web interface crashing.

• Hi Mireand,

I worked with support yesterday evening and we were able to resolve the issue. The problem was the default memory handling in IIS.

1. Open IIS and expand the server and select Application Pools.

2. In the right-hand pane right-click ARWebAppPool -> Advanced Settings...

3. Scroll down to Private Memory Limit (KB) and set it to 0 and click OK. You may need to start ARWebAppPool if it's stopped.

4. In elevated PowerShell run iisreset.

The above resolved the issue for us. IIS was limited to 1GB of memory, so when large groups were enumerated and IIS hit this limit, the ARWebAppPool stopped, which resulted in the web interface crashing.

Children