ARS Upgrade to 8.0 workflow approvals that request information causes error

Hello,

This is my very first posting to any One Identity forum.  I recently upgraded my Active Roles server from 7.4.3 to 8.0 and noticed that some of my workflows are throwing web errors.  This big red error banner on the approval pop-up states "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  After getting a few complaints, I noticed a pattern.  The workflows having the issues, are ones that request information from the end user before the approval can be completed.  However, we are getting the error message before any pop-up window presents a prompt to enter in the requested data.  I've tried a couple tricks like removing the requirement for requested data, then saving, then re-runing the request and the approver can actually approve the workflow. However, as soon as I put the requirement to enter data into an attribute, the error returns.  This happens for every workflow I have that requires the approver to enter some data into the approval prior to the operation being completed.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?  A bug in version 8.0 perhaps?

All workflows were working normally prior to the upgrade.  All approval requests were made after the upgrade was in place (no approvals migrated from 7.4.3 as they get auto cancelled by the upgrade).

Parents
  • I have no answer on the question. Maybe my recent observations will help alittle. Unfortunately, I have seen the same error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" on ARS 7.6.1 recently after upgrade (from 7.3.1). I think there was much coding changed on backend and I had the following unfortunate discoveries, so far.

1) error "phase" reporting might change.

2) I found that *msExchHideFromAddressLists* is not treated as flat ldap AD attribute anymore, but in compliance with "Exchange Rule" and cannot be set on AD user without email (contact or mailbox).

3) ARS Sync cannot set $null on AD attribute, instead need to use Sync Consol UI option <clear> (But I have a custom code returning value A,B,C,$null) (it seems like, I need to do additional testing). In case the #3 confirmed, it will impact all my Sync PS1 custom codes returning A,B,C...,$null.

• Thank you for the response, Aidar.

This is actually a big issue for us.  We use workflows that request information from the "Approver's" for things such as employee badge number, DID's, Two Factor hardware token ID's, etc.  Since the approvers are now unable to enter in this information into the requested attribute, it affects downstream workflows (notifications that recall those attributes) to our onboarding and training staff. 

What is the best course of action to getting a hot fix for ARS 8.0?  The 7.4.3 version we were on is on limited support, which is why we did the upgrade.  Otherwise, I'm a firm believer in, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" (unless there is a vulnerability, in that case I consider it broke)!  We have been running ARS 8.0 for about a week now.  I'm thinking that it might be more harmful to roll-back now that we have had a couple hundred transactions since the upgrade.  I'll file a support request for this issue, but I assume others maybe having this issue too.  What is the process to getting a hot fix developed for this issue?  Wondering if One Identity needs a certain number of tickets before this is put on the project list.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

• Thank you for the response, Aidar.

This is actually a big issue for us.  We use workflows that request information from the "Approver's" for things such as employee badge number, DID's, Two Factor hardware token ID's, etc.  Since the approvers are now unable to enter in this information into the requested attribute, it affects downstream workflows (notifications that recall those attributes) to our onboarding and training staff. 

What is the best course of action to getting a hot fix for ARS 8.0?  The 7.4.3 version we were on is on limited support, which is why we did the upgrade.  Otherwise, I'm a firm believer in, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" (unless there is a vulnerability, in that case I consider it broke)!  We have been running ARS 8.0 for about a week now.  I'm thinking that it might be more harmful to roll-back now that we have had a couple hundred transactions since the upgrade.  I'll file a support request for this issue, but I assume others maybe having this issue too.  What is the process to getting a hot fix developed for this issue?  Wondering if One Identity needs a certain number of tickets before this is put on the project list.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Children