Can Active Roles perform WMI queries

Hi,

I'm working on a way to filter devices based on their type (laptop, tablet, desktop) to move them into a corresponding OU.  I've done this before using the parent OU or name but in my new situation all devices will be in one big OU to start so we don't have any easy way of knowing what kind of device it is to move it into a Desktop or Mobile Device (tablets and laptops) OU.  I think we can do a WMI query to find PCSystemType but can Active Roles perform a WMI query on an object as part of a script or Workflow?  We've just updated to version 8.0.

Thanks

Charlene 

Parents
  • There's no built-in way for Active Roles to do this but I would suggest the following:

Create a Change Workflow that reacts to the creation of a new Computer account.

Within this workflow, embed a script activity that fires a script that interrogates the WMI store on the new computer.and then writes the information you are looking for to either an available native property of the computer object OR a virtual attribute that you create for the purpose.

Within your script, you can pick up the GUID of the new computer which you can use as the Identity for your WMI calls by referencing $Request.GUID.  

The only caveats here are that:

1) Your Active Roles service account or override account must have privileged access to the computers and

2) The WinRM service must be enabled on the computers - otherwise you will not be able to communicate with WMI

• Hi, thanks very much for the speedy reply.  I'll give this a go.

Ta

Charlene

Reply Children
No Data