Dynamic Group - Temp Membership

Hi Team. 

Just looking for some suggestions or ideas. We use Dynamic groups based on a VA being set. Our Service Desk select this from the WI. 

We have a couple of Dynamic groups where we want the membership to be removed after 48 hours after the account was added to the group. Now i know i could use a standard group and use the temp membership route but we then loose the ability of our Service Desk team just ticking a box. 

So what i was thinking was that i could have a script that checks the group every few hours and then set the VA back to false. But is there any attribute that tracks when the user was added? or is there a way i could add a time stamp attribute?

Open to other suggestions or ideas?

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi. I am almost there. In the example link you sent they are searching AD for user accounts. I would like to not search all of AD to find accounts and for my requirements its always going to be a small number of users. However they will always be in a Security Group. I can see that i can change the search activity to Search the group for its members but i cant see a way of specifying the group i would like it to search? Any suggestions

• Is this use case planning on having only a single group with this functionality? If so, then searching the group for its members could work, without the need for multiple Search activities within the workflow (each searching a single group). Searching for users with the EndDate virtual attribute set, might make better sense.

However, to answer your question, to specify a single group within a Search activity, set the top option to 'Search the group for its members'. Set the Find: field to 'Users' and in the In: field select 'Fixed group in directory' and search for and select the group.

• Thank you. Yes at the moment it is just a single group but if we expanded this out we will use another VA. I have changed the  work flow to reflect the group. Jesus simple when you know how. I now have this set on a test group and will check tomorrow to see if the account is removed. Will confirm back that its all working. Thank you for the help so far 

• So my time limit has passed but it has not removed the value  edsvaDynamicGroupEndDate or set my other VA from True to False. I am not 100% sure its actually finding my user account in the security group i asked it to check even though i am the only account in there  

• I have been over this many times and even recreating it from scratch. trying to search in a group or even just search in an OU. I cant tell if its actually finding my user account but its not removing the date on the VA. At a bit of a loss with this one. Any suggestions? 

• Post some screenshots and maybe we can see the issue. Edit or blur out anything from your environment.

• Here is my work first workflow. When the VA McTest1 is set to TRUE this will fire off an approval notification. Once approved the account is automatically added to the Dynamic group and the VA McTest2 is stamped with the date and time +1 for this test

McTest2 VA Date and time settings. I have tried pretty much any combination here

Here i have the second workflow. Searching AD

I am searching for any users inside a security group

So if any users are found then set McTest1 to False as this will remove them from the Dynamic Group and then clear McTest2 VA which was the time

My If Else 

• The problem is in your If/Else branch. You are using the wrong conditional. The timestamp will absolutely never be "equal" to the current timestamp plus 1. Instead, you should be checking to see if the timestamp is "greater than" the current day plus 1.

• Also, I'd move the conditional check into the filter of your search. It would be much more efficient to simply return the objects that you care about, rather than returning everything and then looping through them, checking each one. You can remove the If/Else entirely. 

• Can i just confirm you mean less or equal not greater? Thanks for the heads up on that point though as that was changed in error. When i set to less or equal it now removes the account. I am not sure what else might have changes as yesterday i had that set. Either way thanks for the pointer.