Dynamic Group - Temp Membership

Hi Team. 

Just looking for some suggestions or ideas. We use Dynamic groups based on a VA being set. Our Service Desk select this from the WI. 

We have a couple of Dynamic groups where we want the membership to be removed after 48 hours after the account was added to the group. Now i know i could use a standard group and use the temp membership route but we then loose the ability of our Service Desk team just ticking a box. 

So what i was thinking was that i could have a script that checks the group every few hours and then set the VA back to false. But is there any attribute that tracks when the user was added? or is there a way i could add a time stamp attribute?

Open to other suggestions or ideas?

Parents
  • I would start with something like this and then modify it to meet your needs:

Solution Title: Triggering the Automatic Deletion of Microsoft Exchange Mailbox X days after Deprovisioning
    Solution Number: 4341083
    Solution URL: https://support.oneidentity.com/kb/4341083

"Step 1" would be the same, just use a more relevant name - for example, edsvaDynamicGroupEndDate

Your "Step 2" would be different. You would create a custom Virtual Attribute of Boolean syntax and expose that in the Web Interface. Also, create a Change Workflow that is triggered by setting this Boolean Virtual Attribute to TRUE and have it stamp edsvaDynamicGroupEndDatewith the current date/time plus 48 hours.

Your Scheduled Workflow in "Step 3" would compare the current date/time to the edsvaDynamicGroupEndDate date/time, and clear it if edsvaDynamicGroupEndDate is greater.

The Dynamic Groups would be populated by users with any value in edsvaDynamicGroupEndDate.

• Thank you. I will look at this further. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. 

• Can i just check The VA in step one. Is that assigned to the user or the group? Its just not clear and dont want to assume. 

• The Virtual Attribute would have to be on the User object.

• Hi. I am almost there. In the example link you sent they are searching AD for user accounts. I would like to not search all of AD to find accounts and for my requirements its always going to be a small number of users. However they will always be in a Security Group. I can see that i can change the search activity to Search the group for its members but i cant see a way of specifying the group i would like it to search? Any suggestions

• Is this use case planning on having only a single group with this functionality? If so, then searching the group for its members could work, without the need for multiple Search activities within the workflow (each searching a single group). Searching for users with the EndDate virtual attribute set, might make better sense.

However, to answer your question, to specify a single group within a Search activity, set the top option to 'Search the group for its members'. Set the Find: field to 'Users' and in the In: field select 'Fixed group in directory' and search for and select the group.

• Thank you. Yes at the moment it is just a single group but if we expanded this out we will use another VA. I have changed the  work flow to reflect the group. Jesus simple when you know how. I now have this set on a test group and will check tomorrow to see if the account is removed. Will confirm back that its all working. Thank you for the help so far 

• Thank you. Yes at the moment it is just a single group but if we expanded this out we will use another VA. I have changed the  work flow to reflect the group. Jesus simple when you know how. I now have this set on a test group and will check tomorrow to see if the account is removed. Will confirm back that its all working. Thank you for the help so far 

Children