Active Roles Web Interface Quick Search fails after upgrade to LTS 8.0.1

Hi

I just updated to ActiveRoles 8.0.1 LTS from 8.0.0 LTS according to this guide:

https://support.oneidentity.com/active-roles/kb/4371505/how-to-upgrading-to-active-roles-8-0-x-lts-from-8-0-0-lts-or-later-using-in-place-upgrade-method

During the upgrade I was instructed to upgrade to the latest Exchange Online PowerShell (version 3.1.0 currently). Everything went smoothly and the upgrade seemed to be successful. I did some tests in Quicksearch and then I ran into the situation described here:

https://support.oneidentity.com/active-roles/kb/4369498/active-roles-web-interface-quick-search-fails-with-the-following-error-you-must-call-connect-exchangeonline-before-calling-any-other-cmdlet

This does not apply directly to the 8.0.1 version but just to test I added the 2.0.3 version of Powershell EXO alongside the new 3.1.0 version but that had no effect either.

I can also mention that I created a new blank web site based on the standard helpdesk template but I still got the same error message during quick search.

Did I miss something in the upgrade process?

/ Staffan

• This may seem like a silly question but did you:

1) Uninstall v 2.0.3 of the EOL Powershell and reboot before installing the 3.x version?
    2) Did you reboot after installing the 3.x version

What was the timing of the EOL Powershell module installs with respect to performing the upgrade?  Seems like you did it during the upgrade?

• Hello, staffan.

After recently experiencing the same issue, I would highly recommend following the steps outlined in the article 4340865. I also have a PowerShell version of the workaround:

$serverList = @(
        "server1",
        "server2"
    )

$scriptBlock = {
        New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 -Name "SchUseStrongCrypto" -Value 1 -PropertyType DWORD -Force
        New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 -Name "SystemDefaultTlsVersions" -Value 1 -PropertyType DWORD -Force
        New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 -Name "SchUseStrongCrypto" -Value 1 -PropertyType DWORD -Force
        New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 -Name "SystemDefaultTlsVersions" -Value 1 -PropertyType DWORD -Force
    }

foreach ($server in $serverList) {
        $null = Invoke-Command -ComputerName $server -ScriptBlock $scriptBlock
    }

• Not at all Slight smile

When I first started the upgrade process I got promted to perform a fresh restart. Then, after the restart and back in the setup wizard, I got to the page regarding the prereqs for the installation and that was when I did the uninstallation of all old PS EXO versions and also the upgrade to the latest EXO module. After performing those two steps, I took one step back in the installation wizard and then jumped forward again. At that time, the prereq status page showed that the EXO module version was ok and I was able to continue.

• Thanks Shawn, I just tried these steps and made a fresh reboot. At first it seemed ok, but after some successful searches, the error came back.

I just now noticed one other thing that seems to occur now that these errors start to show up again in the quick search. If I go into the Azure branch and drill down via the Tenant container and then to the view where I can select different cloud objects, there is something strange going on. I can open up "Azure Contacts", Azure Users" and so on but all the views on EXO objects, ("Resouce Mailboxes", Shared mailboxes") turns up empty.

I could see them briefly after the reboot but not anymore.

• I can also add that when I try to view the Exchange Online properties in the right hand pane after selecting an account I get this. I know that the user has a license and modern auth is enabled. At this point I've also updated EXO PS to 3.2 and rebooted the server.

Unable to retrieve Exchange Online Mailbox properties. The possible reasons may be: 

• The current user does not have the Exchange Online License.
    • Modern Authentication is not enabled for the tenant.
    • Exchange Online PowerShell v3 module is not installed.

The EXO PS is available for all users on the server, but ARS does not seem to pick this up. Should I create a support ticket for this?