Sql with result and process step parameter types

Hello

I hope someone could help me understand how data types are handled in process step parameters.

My first question is about the SQL with result component. I seem to be able to get only a single field as a string from this component, i.e. I am unable to use it for queries that produce more results. I am unsure if this is working as intended or caused by the way I handle the output. I assume I am doing it wrong, but is this component intended to return more than a single field?

Secondly, I am using 'Value = "&OUT(<parameter name>)&"' to pass output values from previous steps as arguments into my receiver scripts. The data types I can pass seem to be limited by string conversion. Am I getting this wrong? If not, is there a way to pass data as any type?

Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi,

The short answer is that all parameters (JobRunParameter) on a job step are (and have to be) of type string.

If you need to do something more complicated you should consider using a script.

HTH, Barry.

• That clears it up. Thanks a lot!

I guess I can then infer that sql with result is supposed to return a single field. That is alright, I have used scripts as a substitute.

If I may follow up with a question related to the solution:

If I need to pass data between two script steps, what would be the best way of doing it? Variables() seems to work at least in case of two consecutive steps that are on same job queue, but not on different queues. Anyone know if there are any other pitfalls to this method, or a better way to pass data in arbitrary types between steps?

• That clears it up. Thanks a lot!

I guess I can then infer that sql with result is supposed to return a single field. That is alright, I have used scripts as a substitute.

If I may follow up with a question related to the solution:

If I need to pass data between two script steps, what would be the best way of doing it? Variables() seems to work at least in case of two consecutive steps that are on same job queue, but not on different queues. Anyone know if there are any other pitfalls to this method, or a better way to pass data in arbitrary types between steps?

Children