Protocol used by SPP to comunicate with Domain Controller

Hi,

i would like to have an official answer to this question:

When comunicating with AD Domain Controller (for example, for a user group sync), which protocol does SPP On Demand use? Does it use TLS or SSL?

Thank you in advance,

Simone

Parents
  • Hi Simone,

In terms of LDAPS, SSL \ TLS is the same thing, using a certificate exchange for the encryption of the LDAP traffic

However, if you are asking if a Firewall is blocking SSL protocol will break LDAPS connection, the answer would be yes it will. SSL traffic should be allowed for LDAPS to work correctly.

Thanks!

• Hello Tawfiq,

what do you mean when you say that SSL and TLS are the same thing?

As far as i know those are both protocols used to encrypt data traffic, but SSL is deprecated, while TLS is the newer version of SSL. I am aware that they both use the same port on Firewall. 

With the notation SSL/TLS did you mean that the protocol used is TLS? Is that correct?

Thank you

• I meant that the term "SSL" is sometimes also used to refer to TLS encryption so I wanted to clarify that from a firewall perspective (Some firewall devices may still use the term SSL when referring to both SSL or TLS and so blocking SSL protocol traffic in that case would impact TLS traffic causing LDAPS connectivity to fail)

We do not use the deprecated SSL versions in SPP and the encryption is using TLS instead but (the term SSL can be used in general when referring to TLS) 

• Thank you for the clarification.

Have a good day!

Reply Children
No Data