This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARS 7 Custom SQL Port

I'm trying to install ARS and connect to our SQL instance. The port for the server isn't the default 1433. I found some documentation to put SERVERNAME, portnumber but it fails instantly when I do it this way.

• You mention a SQL "Instance". Normally, this is referenced thus: <Server>\<Instance>. So, to follow on what you found in the KB article (which doesn't mention an instance), did you try <Server>\<Instance>, <port>
  • It instantly fails with error: "Invalid SQL Server computer name"

Using servername\instance, I get "Unable to access database 'Database' on SQL server 'server\instance' followed by an explanation and "(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - connection string is not valid)"

• I can't guarantee this will work but have you tried: <servername>:portnumber\instance
  • ARS does support access to SQL via different , not default port. It should be the same syntax as for connection string in script code. I do not remember exact syntax.
    • Port 1433 (Default SQL Server instance) TCP Inbound/Outbound
    Open this port if your Active Roles database is on the default instance of SQL Server. If a different port is
    assigned to the default instance, open that port rather than port 1433.
  • It was an issue with the replication that we had on the SQL server. <Server>,<Port> worked after being fixed.
  • Hi,
    Can you please tell me , What was the issue in the replication and how it is resolved?
    using a database connection string like this:

tsqlServer\ars1,[portnumber]

When attempting to configure the second Active Roles node, the configuration wizard in the Active Roles Configuration Center fails to connect to the Management History database. The wizard and Active Roles Configuration Center logging both show that the required port is being stripped from the connection string.

• Hi, there was an issue i know when deploying ARS 7.1 (not sure if this affects ARS 7.2) with using the configuration center to set the Non-Standard port for the MH Database, basically the configuration center stripped the port that was specified from the connection string when you got to that screen for the MH database and did not allow you to change it. Fortunately you can use PowerShell to do everything you can do in the configuration center with the service which allows you to specify a port with no issues,

One thing to note with replication using non-standard ports, the setup requires some additional configuration. I've found possibly the simplest was is to create SQL Aliases and assign the Non-Standard port to those as well allowing replication to Occur. You may have issues during the initial replication setup through ARS using non-standard ports, there is probably a way around it but i've resorted to setting up replication using port 1433 then changing it back to the non-standard port after replication is configured since doing this can all be scripted.

Good Luck!

• This is a known issue in the Active Roles Configuration Center at the moment and will hopefully be fixed soon. In the meantime, you can configure the Active Roles instance by using a cmdlet in the Active Roles Management Shell like this (properly modified for your SQL server, instance, port, and database name):

$svcadminpwd = get-credential
    New-ARService -DatabaseName 'ActiveRoles72'  -DatabaseServer 'tcsql3\ars,50682' -ServiceAccountCredential $svcadminpwd -DSAdministrators 'BUILTIN\Administrators' | Out-Null

You will be prompted for the credentials of the service account which you wish to use, and then the service will be configured as per the parameters provided. 'DSAdministrators' should be the Active Directory Group which you want to assign the Active Roles Admin Role.

You may need to check out some of the other parameters on this cmdlet if your configuration is a little more complicated.