This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mass Prohibit Modification for Employees custom property 1 field

Hello,

I know that I am able to prohibit editing for an individual master record by right-clicking my mouse and selecting 'prohibit modification'.  I am searching for a way on the table level to lock the [Person].[CustomProperty01] to all existing and future users will have contain a read-only CustomProperty01 column.  This column is used to save archived HR information, and we want to freeze it from being used now and in the future. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Christian

• Hi Christian,

Designer > Permissions > By tables > Person

Expand Person

Select CustomProperty01

Under Tasks on the right hand side select Edit permissions for Person - CustomProperty01

In the lower pane - "Summary of permissions ...." de-select the Edit and Insert columns but .....

For the OOB Permissions Groups you may not be able to edit the permissions so you may have to copy the permissions group(s) to a CCC copy and then edit that. Then you'll have to change the AERoles that reference the OOB permission(s) group(s) to use the CCC permission(s) group(s) but ......

If you remove edit and insert permissions from ALL permissions groups you 'might not' be able to populate that attribute in the first place so ..... you might need a custom permission group purely for the initial data load ..... I haven't tested/tried this so you'll have to experiment.

HTH, Barry.
  • If you want to avoid any change to the column CustomProperty01 at all, you can add the following code to the OnLoaded Script on the Person table.

Base.Columns("CustomProperty01").CanEdit = False

In my sample screenshot, I have added this to the existing code on the script. In that case, an import or sync and an administrative user would be able to change the property but no one else.

HtH

• Thank you Barry and Markus for the quick and clear response! I marked both as answers, because they both answer my question—just in different ways.