This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Develop web portal without webdesigner

Hi,

This question is in relationship with my previous thread

--> Does someone has tried to create a web portal without the use of webdesigner (e.g. using Visual Studio) and integrate directly with One Identity Database ? If so what are the limitation or element requiring special cares.

I would like to assess if I can have my web developers using their framework of choice instead of learning a new dev framework like webdesigner.

Thanks.

• No, but if you find out a way, please post an answer. The Web Designer documentation doesn't provide much regarding how to use components. I have spent over six hours trying to figure out how to implement a combo box unsuccessfully and the five day course in Berlin is out of the question due to the cost. I'm still trying to figure out how to bind the debugger in Visual Studios to the Web Designer. If I find out, I will post my findings on another thread.

• If you want to develop your own web portal using a development framework of your choice, feel free. There is an official REST API you can use to connect to the One Identity Manager repository.
  • Hi Christian,
    I strongly recommend the training, it is worth the cost!

Components can be seen as classes. Whenever you need something more than once and in different flavors, make a component out of it. Then you call it with arguments of different types. If the argument in both context have the same name, there is an automatic mapping. Quite handy and easy from my point of view.

Do you implement your own combo box in let's say C# or java? Do the OOTB components not fulfill your needs of a Combobox?
    The web designer is build to implement new business workflows or adjust the standard ones. That's why it comes with a bunch of controls, like a combobox.

Debugging of the Web Portal in VS works by attaching to the w3wp and opening the C# files. Debugging the Web Designer Editor does not make a lot of sense. Do you often try to debug Manager oder ObjectBrowser in VS?

Regards,
    Geraldine
  • Thank you Markus and Geraldine for your responses.

Geraldine, I am not an application developer, but I understand what your saying about generic types and class extensions regarding components.

Thank you again and I will post a control question on another thread.